July 2023 Food Pairing
Independence Day food pairing
a gourmet take on some 4th of July classics
Happy Independence Day from Shadow Ranch! What's a 4th of July celebration without hot dogs and watermelon? We chose to dress it up a bit for our July wine and food pairing, and the results were delicious! We started with a "Red, White and Blue" salad and paired it with the perfect rosé for summer, our 2022 Grenache Rosé. For our second course, Kimari created a "French Onion" hot dog which we paired with the fan-favorite, the Sheriff Red Blend. Want to create these pairings at home? Keep reading for the recipes!
Red, White & Blue Fruit Salad
This fresh fruit salad is as delicious as it is easy to prepare! Pair it with our 2022 Grenache Rosé for a perfectly refreshing appetizer on a hot summer day. The patriotic colors in this fruit salad are an added bonus for patriotic celebrations!
- 1 seedless watermelon
- 1 cup of blueberries
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- Fresh basil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 Tbs honey
- Pinch of salt
Cut the watermelon into small cubes. Add to bowl with blueberries. Wisk together dressing and pour over fruit. Gently toss. Top with feta and basil cut into ribbons. Serve.
French Onion Hot Dogs
Ditch the ketchup and try caramelized onions on your hot dog! Baked with a blend of three cheeses sprinkled on top, these hot dogs certainly hit the spot. This is a great recipe to serve at parties and backyard BBQs, so we paired this awesome party meal with our awesome party wine, the Sheriff Red Blend.
- 12 quality hot dogs of your choice
- 5 cups beef stock
- 12 brioche buns
- 8 Vidalia onions
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 4 yellow onions
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere
- 1 cup shredded Emmentaler
- 1cup shredded Mozzarella
1. Caramelize onions by putting 2 Tbs of olive oil and 2 Tbs of butter into a large pan and warm up the pan. Cut onions into thin slices and add to pan cooking down and stirring. You may have to do this in batches depending on how big your pan is. Keep cooking onions on low, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes, up to an hour. You will know they are done when they have turned a light brown color.
2. Add beef stock to pot or crockpot and warm up with ½ cup caramelized onions. Add hotdogs to this French onion broth and reserve until needed.
3. Shred and mix three cheeses. Assemble all 12 hotdogs. Bun, hotdog, onions and top with cheese and place on oven sheet.
4. Toast in the oven on 400 degrees for 5 minutes. Serve.